Monday, April 12, 2010

MOHAWK IN THE MORNING

There's a not a lot left to say that I haven't already said in the Gazette or at Kahnawakenews.com or on Steve Faguy's blog about my new job at K103 (CKRK) in Kahnawake, except that the reaction to today's announcement was at least as gratifying as the support I received after resigning on principle from CHOM January 1st.
What hasn't been discussed, and what I'd like to address here, is the people with whom I'll be working. They're not all from Kahnawake, but the core of the radio station staff are Mohawks, including announcers Java Jacobs, Lance Delisle, Suzie Delaronde and Abby Jacobs, operations manager Chuck Barnett, news director Greg Horn and office managers Cheryl Deer and Sheena Leclaire. Even though lengthy and frequent meetings with Chuck over several weeks had given me a glimpse into the community, I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I showed up for my first day of behind-the-scenes work last Monday.
It didn't take long to feel at home, thanks in no small part to Java and Lance, who took me on the grand tour of the territory and told me that our first stop would be "the place where we take white guys to beat the shit out of them." How's that for a tension breaker? I haven't stopped laughing since. Sheena was thoughtful enough to keep my ego in check by asking Greg "Who's Ted Bird and what's he going to do here?"
There's a comfort level that reminds me of the days when Terry DiMonte and I had at least as much fun on the air as we did away from the microphone. You can't fake genuine cameraderie, and the speakers don't lie. When Java and I sign on as co-hosts of the new K103 morning show next Monday, we'll probably have a few conversational traffic accidents as we get used to each other's timing and work out the chemistry, but what I know going in is that I'm working with fundamentally decent people who haven't hesitated to welcome me into their workplace and their community with humour and sincerity.
No one can ask for any more than that.

17 comments:

  1. I tuned into K103 this morning and loved it. I'll be there every morning!

    It'll be good to have you back for morning "positivity", Ted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ted,

    This is really wonderful news! I am so happy for you and for Montreal!! I was wondering what happened to Graif........glad you guys will be working together.

    I couldn't wait 'til next Monday so I tuned in today and found that I can't get good reception from my home radio. I can only get good reception from my car!? My home radio is not that old but it is not digital.

    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Ted, can't wait to tune in online from North Carolina next Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's freaking awesome news, I can't get K103 on my shower radio though :-( I will have to upgrade lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ted, congrats on the new job old friend. Hope you have fun, and make it fun for all your listeners. How does someone in Sussex New Brunswick get to listen to you? Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news and good on you! Listening from Mexico city to CHOM was great but it was not the same without you. This will give a reason to discover a new station.
    You can be sure that next monday I will be there to listen to you. And what about that haircut you want to get? You should do it live on the (ahem..)air.
    Break a leg.
    from Mexico city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Ted! Glad to hear you are back. Wish I could listen from North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can listen online at k103radio.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Ted If you can have as much fun as we did, Montrealers are in for a real treat. I can't wait to hear it. Congratulations to everyoen invloved

    ReplyDelete
  10. totally awesome news Bird-man.... I will be tuning in for sure can not wait love it love it love it. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We will be tune in on Monday! :D

    The Voice is back! Woot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love K103 and Ted Bird, what a great combination! Can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's great news. Intelligent, articulate and sometimes sarcastic ;) radio will live once more in Montreal. It'll be good to listen to radio without having my ears bleeding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will be listening Ted.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ted, Like all your loyal fans, I can't wait 'til Monday morning. But now I'll have to choose between you and Terry at work. Just have to get two computers I guess.

    Thanks for keeping me laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha chom loosing listeners by the minute,I hope 103.7 will get a better signal but im in ,ill take it the way it is keep up the good work and ted have your wife call in and give you shit sometimes,funny stuff

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have been listening in the car and computer for awhile and really enjoy the station all day. Morning show is real radio not Astral garbage. Love listening also to Suzie and Lori and bubbly Abby. "GO 103.7"
    Robin

    ReplyDelete