Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The power of radio

Dear radio programmers and consultants,
Please refer to the letter below the next time you tell your announcers that birthday wishes are hoakey and nobody cares. This is the power of radio, and a textbook example of how you build a loyal audience one listener at a time, because there is no other way.

Hi K103 Crew,
I want to thank you for the great job you guys did last Thursday (May 3rd) for my son Nicholas' B-Day. I called last minute in the morning to see when the birthdays announcements are read. Java hepled me out and gave me the times and Ted sent me an e-mail asking me to confirm. I had already missed the morrning B-Day announcement but sent an e-mail with info for the 11:45AM & 5:45PM times. I was teaching and my son was in class for the 11:45AM one by Suzy (my parents heard it though and said it was great).
Yet I knew my son would hear the 5:45PM one so I sent another e-mail to Sean & Brady with additional info. I picked my son up from school unexpectedly and drove with him to Burlington, Vermont. He had no idea what was going on and thought that his gift ended at a weekend in Burlington and was very happy. Little did he know when we arrived at our hotel at 5:15PM that Sean & Brady would be telling him live over the internet a half hour later that he was going to his first Fenway game in Boston on Sunday and that that was his gift. He sat there shocked and speechless with tears in his eyes as the guys spoke to him personally and broke the news to him. What a memory!
I want to update you and let you know that the game went 17 innings and lasted over 6 hours. Although they lost 9-6, the game had everything and was the first game since 1925 to have a position player from each team pitch (because both teams ran out of pitchers). There was a Boston player who got his first major league hit (a grand slam), a play at the plate in extra innings to keep the game going, two amazing plays by Pedroia in the 16th, etc. After the game, they let the fans who remained onto the field (only around 1/4 of the crowd remained). It was only supposed to be for the kids but they let everyone who stayed partake in the event as a thank you for staying. We got home at 3:30AM on Monday morning!
I have attached a picture of my son Nicholas making an imaginary catch around Pesky's Pole as a thank you to the K103 Crew. If there is any way to get hold of the announcements please let me know. I would love to have them as a memory and only thought of videoing my son listening to the announcement after the fact.
Thanks again!
Bill

2 comments:

  1. Kimberly ZimmerMay 9, 2012 at 7:52 AM

    Very, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris, Kelly, Brayden and Madden LabergeMay 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM

    We are close to the O'Connors and I can say without a doubt that they are some of the most deserving people to have this opportunity. They are extremely nice, honest and respectfull people and to hear about the happiness that Bill and Nick enjoyed is great.

    ReplyDelete